Saturday, July 25

Revivals!

Just before I went on my merry way , I asked Mrs Cannon where she gets her stuff restored if t needs it and instead of revealing her secrets she gave me some useful advice. She told me that to restore my pencil box to its former glory, I'd need to remove the varnish and use a wood reviver - which she assured me I'd find a decent recipe for online, which I did, and here's a few wood revivers I thought sounded easy to make...

This is a recipe formulated by the late Clive Wainwright, former deputy keeper of furniture at the Victoria & Albert Museum. I presume it lifts the varnish as well as rives the wood as its got methylated spirits:
1 part linseed oil
2 parts methylated spirits
2 parts terpentine
2 parts distilled vinegar
Method: Put all the above into bottle and shake well. Apply o furniture - not too much at one time - and rub in well rather than smearing i over the surface:
From: www.countrylife.co.uk/countryside/article/369535/Making -the-perfect-wood-polish.html#part2
An easier wood reviver recipe would be:
1/3 cup boiled linseed oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup turpentine
Method: Combine all in a Mason jar. Apply with steel wool (fine), stir mix occassionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment