Monday, November 9

The Price of Memories!

So, now that my memory box is complete it's time to count up the cost! So let's see:

Petrol to Halstead to pick up Pencil Box- £5.00 (approx)
Bottle of Shellac (Button) Polish - £3.40
Set of craft knives - £4.99

Guilding cream - £7.99
Petrol to Peter Ward - £3 approx
Print - £6
Frame & Glass - £12

This brings it to a grand total of £42.38

Not exactly free, but here's a list of free stuff too, just for good measure:

Wood stain (2 portions) (care of Tim!)
Meths - (borrowed from family member)
Paint stripper (borrowed from family member)
Blog space (care of Google)
Care and attention (care of me!)
Thoughts and creative ideas
Motivation and perseverance! (priceless!)

Though I do feel I have injected value back into this object via effort and attention, I also feel that, alongside creating it, I have become somewhat attached to the object, having invested in its development. So the value for me lies in the memory of the original object, signified by the untouched interior of the object, and the memory I have associated with it as part of my work. The actual cost to me is perhaps a gain for me too in the end because of the people I have met along the way and the skills I have begun to learn. This is MY exchange value!

No comments:

Post a Comment